I’ve never been to Cuba, but it’s safe to assume this is the best sandwich anywhere once you add Ogre Sauce.
Servings - 2 | 45 Minutes
- 1 long baguette
- ½ cup Ogre Sauce
- 8 ounces thinlysliced cooked ham
- 8 ounces cooked pulled pork
- 8 thin slices swiss cheese
- 4 dill pickles, thinly sliced lengthwise
- 2 tablespoons (¼ stick) unsalted butter, melted
1. Place oven rack in middle position. Heat oven to 250°F.
2. Cut the loaf of bread in half lengthwise and open. Spread both pieces of bread with Ogre Sauce.
3. Arrange all the sliced ham evenly on one piece of the bread, then place the pulled pork on top of the ham.
4. Arrange the cheese and pickles on top of the meat.
5. Pour Ogre Sauce liberally over meat, cheese, and pickles.
6. Close the sandwich and press gently on the top to slightly compact. Cut it in half, crosswise.
7. Lay out 2 sheets of aluminum foil, each long enough to wrap a sandwich.
8. Brush the tops of the sandwiches with melted butter.
9. Place each sandwich, with the buttered side down, on a piece of the aluminum foil. Use the remaining butter to brush the bottoms of the sandwiches. Wrap each sandwich securely in a sheet of the foil.
10. Heat a large skillet over low heat.
11. Put a wrapped sandwich in the hot pan. Place a cast-iron skillet, or any heavy pan, on top of the sandwich. Compact the sandwich further by gently pushing down.
12. Cook for about 10 minutes, leaving the pan in place on top of the sandwich.
13. Remove the pan from the top of the sandwich and turn the sandwich.
14. Place the heavy pan back on top and cook for another 10 minutes. The sandwich is ready when the cheese is melted and the sandwich is warm all the way through.
15. Remove the sandwich from the frying pan and place it in the warm oven.
16. Cook the second sandwich by repeating the above cooking method.
17. When both are ready, remove the foil, cut into pieces, and serve with additional Ogre Sauce.
Goes great with beer!